St Stephen's Church, Old Radnor, Radnorshire
Dedication: St Stephen
Built: 14th century onwards
Photography: John Ball
Date: May 1996
Camera: Sigma SA-300 35 mm SLR
There are more photographs of St Stephen's among my archived Images of Wales collection.
Note 1: St Stephen's church at Old Radnor is one of the finest medieval churches in Wales, with considerable architectural interest, a significant range of internal fittings, and strong evidence of a former curvilinear churchyard. The tower is 15th century with limited restoration work; north aisle and north chapel are 15th century (or even early 16th century) but east wall probably rebuilt in Victorian era, and the same is true of the chancel. South aisle also 15th century but there is a 14th century window at the west end. Porch is largely original. Thus the whole structure is probably 15th century, although whether of one particular build is less certain.
[Source: Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust (CPAT) website, where further details are available]
Note 2: The diagonally buttressed west tower with a northeast staircase turret and arrowloops in the parapet probably dates from immediately after the church was burnt in 1401 by Owain Glyndwr's troops. The rest of the church was rebuilt by the following two generations. The layout, with four bay arcades to north and south aisles and two bay arcades to a pair of chancel chapels, is not a common one in this part of Wales. The chancel is closed off by a screen of c1470-1500 of a type more commonly found in Gloucestershire, but there is an arch between the wide south aisle and the Lady Chapel east of it. The narrow north aisle has a lean-to roof. The chancel east end was rebuilt in 1882. The large font set on four stumpy legs may be as early as the eighth century. The chancel has a piscina and contains 15th century stalls and the oldest (c1525) organ case in the British Isles, although the organ itself dates only from 1872. Behind the organ is an Easter Sepulchre recess and there is here also a Norman scalloped capital. One north window contains some old glass. There are several late 18th century monuments to members of the Lewis and Harris families.
[Source: The Old Parish Churches of Mid-Wales by Mike Salter, 2nd edition published 2003, Folly Publications, Malvern; ISBN 1-871731-62-3]