Pantteg Chapel, Cyfyng Road, Pant-teg, Ystalyfera, Glamorgan
Modified: 1842 and 1854
Rebuilt: 1864 and 1898
Photography: John Ball
Dates: 7 Jan 2001 / 30 Apr 2001 / 10 Apr 2002 (as indicated)
Camera: Sony Mavica MVC-FD91 digital (Jan 2001)
Sigma SA-300 35 mm SLR
Above: Pantteg Chapel on the old road to Godre'r Graig. Beyond the chapel, is the chapel vestry. [30 Apr 2001]
Pantteg Independent Chapel was first built in 1821 by the architect J. Jones of Fountain Hall. This was modified in 1842 and 1854, and then rebuilt in 1864 to the design of architect John Morgan. Pantteg was rebuilt for the final time in 1898, by architect William Williams of Swansea, in the Simple Round-Headed style with a Dutch gable and gable-entry plan.
[Source: Coflein database (NPRN 10079)]
Above: Entrance to Pantteg Chapel. The plaque above the entrance indicates the chapel was built in 1898. [30 Apr 2002]
A detailed history of the chapel is available on the Ystalyfera History website.
Above: Pantteg Chapel interior. [7 Jan 2001]
Above: Pantteg Chapel and vestry. The chapel graveyard is alongside and behind the vestry. [30 Apr 2002]
Above: Pantteg Chapel and graveyard. [Undated old picture postcard]
Above: Pantteg Chapel faces an unstable hillside, which suffers repeated landslips. [Undated old picture postcard]
Over the years, several landslips have threatened the chapel, most recently, in December 2012. For details, see reports on the news websites of the BBC (24 Dec 2012), BBC (3 Jan 2013), and ITV (14 Jan 2014).