'Bont' Chapel, Commercial Street, Pengam, Monmouthshire
Name: 'Bont' Chapel (Capel-y-Bont)
Photography: John Ball
Date: 19 April 2000
Camera: Sigma SA-300 35 mm SLR
Note 1: The chapel was originally sited near the bridge over the river Rhymney and was known as the "Bont Chapel" (bont is Welsh for bridge). The chapel was still known locally by this name even when moved to the present site in Commercial Street.
As the wall plaque tells us, the chapel was built in 1857, and extended in 1865. The chapel is now a private residence. Sadly, the wall plaque above the front entrance is the only external artefact left in its original state.
Note 2: Capel-y-Bont Baptist Chapel was built in 1857 and rebuilt in 1865. The later chapel was built in the later Vernacular and Sub-Classical style of the gable entry type. This chapel was converted for residential use in 1997. [Source: Coflein database (NPRN 13014)]