Back to indexImages of Wales
 

Moriah Chapel, Pengenffordd, Talgarth, Breconshire

Moriah Chapel
Above: Moriah Chapel, viewed from the east.
Name: Moriah Chapel

Denomination: Calvinistic Methodist, now Presbyterian

Moriah Chapel
Built: 1835
Rebuilt: 1860




Photography: No details of source

Note 1: Pengenffordd Chapel was built in 1835 and rebuilt in 1860 in the Vernacular style with a long wall entry plan. The outside is grey-rendered with two rectangular sash windows down the sides of the chapel and a doorway to the south on the east side. The southern third of the building, possibly from 1860, has a Sunday School room over a store with a ground-floor door in the south gable. The 1851 Religious Census recorded that ninety seats were free and five paid for. The 1905 Royal Commission survey of Religious Buildings in Wales recorded that there were one hundred seats in the chapel and the building was worth £300. [Source: Coflein database (accessed 12 May 2017)]

Moriah ChapelNote 2: Some chapels, like Moriah, Pengenffordd, had exterior stairs that led to the gallery. [Source: Welsh Chapels, by Anthony Jones, Alan Sutton Publishing Limited, Stroud; 1996]

Moriah Chapel

Back to indexImages of Wales