Zion Chapel (Capel Seion), Station Road, Ponthir, Monmouthshire
Name: Seion Chapel
Photography: Steve Veysey
Date: 12 April 2008
Camera: Fuji FinePix 6900 Zoom digital
Note 1. Ponthir Baptist Chapel was built in 1803, rebuilt in 1834 and modified/repaired in 1900. The 1834 chapel is built in the Simple Round-Headed style with a long-wall entry plan. The two storey schoolroom was added in 1870, with an upper lecture room and lower vestry. Ponthir is now Grade 2 Listed as a late Georgian chapel and schoolroom with an unusual broard double facade. [Source: Coflein database (NPRN: 10723)]
Note 2. A detailed history of Capel Zion by Primrose Hockey is available on the Caerleon.net website.