Back to indexImages of Wales
 

Pontrhydyrun Baptist Chapel, Chapel Lane, Cwmbrân, Monmouthshire

Photograph: Steve Veysey
Date: 6 May 2008
Camera: FujiFilm FinePix 6900 Zoom Digital

Name: Pontrhydyrun Baptist Chapel

Denomination: Baptist

Built: 1816
Rebuilt: 1836

Pontrhydyrun Baptist Chapel, Cwmbrân

Note: Origins of the cause here date back to 1802 when George Conway established his tinplate works at Pontnewydd. A Sunday School was held, first at George Conway’s home and later at the works and from 1810 regular services took place at Pontrhydyrun House the home of John Conway, George’s son. The Conway family was in formal membership at Abergavenny and the cause proper was established when eight members were formally dismissed from the Abergavenny church specifically to form the church at Pontrhydyrun. The foundation stone of the chapel was laid on 13 May 1816 on a plot of ground given by George Conway. It opened for worship on 25 November that year. [Source: Capel Local Information Sheet 35 (PDF document) published by the Chapels Heritage Society]

Back to indexImages of Wales