St David's Church, Rhulen, Radnorshire
Dedication: St David
Built: 13th Century
Photography: Martin Jones
Date: 29 February 2012
Camera: Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS35 digital compact
Note 1: The tiny 13th century single chamber with an original south doorway containing a 17th century door has been slightly extended to the east, whilst a more substantial extension to the west is now walled off to carry a wooden belfry. There are just two windows, one dated 1723, which both light the east end. There is a barrel ceiled roof and the exterior walls are whitewashed. The font is of c1400. [Source: The Old Parish Churches of Mid Wales (2nd edition), by Mike Salter, Folly Publications, Malvern, 2003; ISBN 1-871731-08-9]
Note 2: St David's church, Rhulen is a small single-cell medieval church of c1300, later extended to the east. The south window is dated 1723. The present stone-tile roof is a restoration of 1961-2 and the west wall was rebuilt in 1985. The church is built of whitened rubble stone with a nave, chancel and vestry under a single stone-tile roof. A square bellcote, set back from the west end, is weatherboarded and has small bell openings with louvres, under a pyramidal roof. The late medieval door, possibly re-used, has original iron strap hinges, and ring handle and plate. On the east wall of the porch is a grave slab to Edward Morgan (d 1803). The north side has a trefoil-headed medieval window with iron bars. [Source: Coflein database, where further details and images are available]
Below: St David's Rhulen, southeastern aspect. Above right: Late medieval south door inside porch.
Below: St David's Rhulen, southwestern aspect.