Back to indexImages of Wales
 

Saron Chapel, Rhydyfro, Glamorgan

Photography: John Ball
Date: 14 December 1999
Camera: Sony Mavica MVC-FD91 digital

Name: Saron

Denomination: Independent

Built: 1815
Rebuilt: 1843
Modified: 1857

Saron Chapel, Rhydyfro

Note: Saron Independent Chapel was built in 1815, rebuilt in 1843, modified in 1857. The present chapel, dated 1843, is built in the Simple Round-Headed style of the long-wall entry type. After a new chapel was built on a different site in 1904 this building was used as the schoolroom. It has whitewashed rubble stone walls and a slate roof. The long wall front has two large arched windows with stone voussoirs and stone sills and there is a single plain flat-headed door to the left with stone voussoirs. The interior has been mostly stripped of its original fittings but the gallery survives. Saron Old Chapel is now Grade 2 Listed as one of a small group of early chapels with a single asymmetric door to a long-wall facade. [Source: Coflein database]

Back to indexImages of Wales