Back to indexImages of Wales
 

St Cenedlon's Church, Rockfield, Monmouthshire

Photography: Steve Veysey
Date: 31 May 2008
Camera: Fuji Finepix 6900 Zoom digital

Denomination: Anglican

Dedication: St Cenedlon

Built: circa 14th century (tower)
Rebuilt: 1859-60

St Cenedlon's Church, Rockfield

Note 1: The church tower is mediaeval, but the rest of the church was rebuilt and refitted in 1859-60 by John Prichard and John Pollard Seddon in the Early English and Perpendicular styles. It contains a painted coat of arms of William III, dated 1700. It also contains, beneath the altar, the grave of Bishop Matthew Pritchard, the Catholic Vicar Apostolic of the Western District between 1713 and 1744. [Source: Wikipedia]
Note 2: Only the octagonal font with blank traceried panels and the tower with a recessed timber upper stage survived a Victorian rebuilding. [Source: The Old Parish Churches of Gwent, Glamorgan & Gower, by Mike Salter, Folly Publications, Malvern, 1991; ISBN 1-871731-08-9]

Back to indexImages of Wales