Back to indexImages of Wales
 

English Methodist Church, New Road, Skewen, Glamorgan

New Road Methodist Church, Skewen
Name: New Road Methodist Church

Denomination: English Wesleyan

Built: 1909

 


Photography: John Ball
Date: 1 October 2009
Camera: Nikon D50 digital SLR

New Road Methodist Chapel, Skewen

Note: This CADW Grade 2 listed Church lies at the centre of the village of Skewen. In 2009 the Church celebrated its centenary. Its history is complex. Its roots in Skewen go back to the early 19th century and The Bible Christian Movement which began in Cornwall as a result of a local preacher being refused a request to become a minister of the Methodist Church.
In May 1906, the freehold at New Road was purchased for £350. In February 1909 the stone laying service took place. Eight months later the opening service took place, conducted by the Rev E D Cornish and John Luke. The church hall was expanded in the 1950s and '60s and has recently been renovated. It is now available for community work.
[Source: Neath Port Talbot Methodist Circuit website]



Back to indexImages of Wales