Horeb Chapel, New Road, Skewen, Glamorgan
Name: Horeb Chapel
Photography: John Ball
Date: 1 October 2009
Camera: Nikon D50 digital SLR
Horeb Baptist Chapel was built in 1868 in the Simple Sub-Classical style of the gable-entry type. It had tall round-headed windows, and round-headed door openings together with a giant arch in the pediment, all with ashlar stone dressings.
[Source: Coflein online database (NPRN 9477)]
The property is a Grade II listed building that was originally constructed in 1868 and was extended to the rear in the late 19th Century. The main chapel is 132 sq.m. and benefits from a first floor gallery seating area. To the rear of the main chapel is the vestry, which provides toilet facilities and approximately 25sq.m. of accommodation at ground floor and 34sq.m. to the first floor with kitchen facilities. The upper floor has its own self contained entrance (from Bethlehem Road).
[Source: Planning Application Design and Access Statement (PDF file); report dated 31 March 2011]
Baptist Chapel built in 1868 (date on building) in the style of Thomas Thomas. The present vestry is not shown on the 1877 Ordnance Survey and was added late 19C. At this time tracery was introduced to the original windows and alterations were made inside to the vestibule.. [Source: CADW Report in Appendix 1 of Planning Application Design and Access Statement (PDF file); CADW report dated 29 March 2000]