Back to indexImages of Wales
 
 St Bridget's Church, St Brides

Photography: Colin Parker
Date: 23 June 2009

St Bridget's Church, St Brides, Pembrokeshire

Denomination: Anglican

Dedication: St Bridget

Built: 13th Century
Restored: 1856

Note 1: Parish church dedicated to St Bride which still contains mediaeval features. [Source: Coflein database of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales (accessed 12 Jan 2016)]

Note 2: The church stands near the sea, above a little rocky cove. An ancient fishermen's chapel once stood at the cliff edge and is said to have been swept away by the sea. St Bridget's has a long nave, chancel, north transept, tiny aisle north of the chancel, and south porch. The nave has a bellcote at each end, each with paired openings, lintels to the west and arched to the east. Traces of a lost south transept. Well-preserved rood stair, the east door with slightly ogee moulded head. [Source: Buildings of Wales: Pembrokeshire, by Thomas Lloyd, Julian Orbach, and Robert Scourfield, Yale University Press, New Haven and London; 2004]

St Bridget's Church, St Brides

St Bridget's Church, St Brides

Note 3: The nave, chancel north transept and south porch are all 13th century. Only two of the lancets are unrestored. The porch outer entrance has just one long stone on each side. There are three grave-slabs, one showing a priest and another a floriated cross.
[Source: The Old Parish Churches of South-West Wales, by Mike Salter, published 1994, Folly Publications, Malvern; ISBN 1-871731-19-4]

St Bridget's Church, St Brides


Back to indexImages of Wales