Back to indexImages of Wales
 

Seion (Zion) Chapel, New Street, St David's, Pembrokeshire

Seion Chapel, St David's Name: Seion (Zion)

Denomination: Welsh Baptist

Built: 1823
Rebuilt: 1843
Extended: 1873
Restored: 1897

 

Photography: John Ball
Date: 22 October 2002
Camera: Fuji FinePix S602 Zoom digital

Seion Chapel, St David's

Note 1: Seion Baptist Chapel was built in 1823, rebuilt in 1843, extended in 1873 and restored in 1897. The present chapel, dated 1897, is built in the sub-classical style with a gable entry plan. Seion is now Grade 2 Listed. [Source: Coflein database (NPRN 11212)]

Note 2: Seion was established in St David's by the Baptists of Felinganol, Solva. Meetings were held from 1816 in a thatched cottage in High Street and in 1843 Seion chapel was built within a spacious plot in New Street. The chapel was renovated in 1873 by T Evans of Solva and again in 1897. The gabled facade is that of 1843 with later glazing and render but is an early example of a gable-fronted chapel locally. The interior is Victorian with a timber-fronted gallery. [Source: Discovering Chapels in St Davids published by Capel: Chapel Heritage Society, 2009]

Back to indexImages of Wales