Back to indexImages of Wales
 
St Garmon's Church, St Harmon
Photography: John Ball, 6 May 1998,
with Agfa ePhoto307 digital compact

St Garmon's Church, St Harmon, Radnorshire

Denomination: Anglican

Dedication: St Garmon

Built: 1821
Restored: 1908

Photography: See captions



Note 1: St Garmon's church occupies a near circular churchyard on the east bank of Afon Marteg less than 5km to the north of Rhayader. The church was completely rebuilt in 1821 with subsequent modifications in the early 20thC but historically it is potentially a most interesting site as the mother church of the district in the early medieval era. Internally, it has little of interest other than an early font comparable with those at nearby Rhayader and Llanwrthwl, and some interesting early 19thC memorials. Hall-church of 1821 with a chancel added; and early 19thC features replaced by more conventional fixtures of 1908. [Source: CPAT Radnorshire Churches Survey (accessed 27 Jan 2015)]

St Garmon's Church, St Harmon
Photography: Ivor Clucas, Jan 2010

Note 2: Nave and porch of 1821 by W. Evan. Restored 1908 by R. Wellings Thomas, who added the short chancel. Francis Kilvert the diarist was vicar here in 1876-77, denouncing the old church as "built in the Dark Ages of fifty years ago". St Garmon's was the last church in Radnorshire to hold Welsh services. [Source: The Buildings of Wales: Powys, by Robert Scourfield & Richard Haslam, Yale University Press, New Haven and London, 2013]

St Garmon's Church, St Harmon
Photography: Charles Jenkin-Jones, 9 Oct 2011, with Canon 5D II digital compact

Note 3: A Victorian building set within ancient Celtic circular Llan churchyard. This church has been re-ordered in recent years to provide many modern facilities. [Source: Church in Wales website (accessed 27 Jan 2015)]

St Garmon's Church, St Harmon
Photography: Derek Savage, 8 Jun 2007, with Olympus Camedia C-765 digital ultra-zoom

Back to indexImages of Wales