Gendros Chapel, Carmarthen Road, Gendros, Swansea, Glamorgan
Note 1: Gendros English Congregational Chapel was first built in 1907, rebuilt in 1912 and further enlarged in 1926. The chapel is built in the Arts & Crafts style with a gable-entry plan. The front facade is dominated by a steeply pitched gable roof which extends down to half the height of the doorways . The windows are placed on the outer ends of the gable elevation, and are round-headed with moulded brick voussoirs arches. The centre of the elevation is taken up by a large three-light window, which in overall form is round-headed and has a similar moulded brick head.
Above: Gendros Chapel.
Note 2: The origins of the chapel date back to 1894 as the area needed an English Chapel. Building work commenced in 1912 and the opening service was held in March 1913. Originally built in the shape of a cross and with seating for 200 chairs. In 1939 the centre path, wall and gates were finished.
Above: Gendros Chapel [Photography: Google StreetView May 2012]