Back to indexImages of Wales
 
Mount Pleasant Chapel, Swansea

Mount Pleasant Chapel, Kingsway, Swansea, Glamorgan

Name: Mount Pleasant Chapel

Denomination: Baptist

Built: 1825/26
Rebuilt: 1874/76

Photography: John Ball
Date: 9 Nov 1998
Camera: Agfa ePhoto307 digital compact


Note 1: Mount Pleasant Baptist Chapel was built 1825 and enlarged in 1876 to the design of architect George Morgan of Carmarthen. Further modifications included the addition of a lecture hall in 1885 and classrooms in 1905. The present chapel is built in the Classical style with a gable-entry plan and is Grade 2 Listed. [Source: Coflein database of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales (accessed 4 June 2015)]

Note 2: Renowned Baptist minister, Reverend Christmas Evans, preached at the opening of Mount Pleasant Chapel in October 1826, and twelve years later was to preach his final sermon there. The cost of the building was £4,510 – a huge amount at that time when the chapel had just 54 members. By the 1851 Guide to Swansea the number of Sunday School scholars was 134, while Bethesda Chapel had 118. Subsequent enlargement to Mount Pleasant in 1875 added the classical façade with four Corinthian pillars, similar to Spurgeon's Metropolitan Tabernacle in London, which had opened in 1861. [Source: South Wales Evening Post website (accessed 4 June 2015)]

Below: Mount Pleasant Chapel stands defiantly overlooking the results of German bombing raids on Swansea during World War Two.
Mount Pleasant Chapel, Swansea, WW2

Back to indexImages of Wales