Back to indexImages of Wales
 
Siloh Chapel, Swansea

(Old) Siloh Chapel, Siloh Road, Swansea, Glamorgan

Name: Siloh Chapel

Denomination: English Congregational

Built: 1829
Enlarged: 1840
Rebuilt: 1884

Photography: John Ball
Date: 31 Jan 1998
Camera: Agfa ePhoto307 digital compact


Note 1: Old Siloh Congregational Chapel was built in 1829, enlarged 1840 and rebuilt 1884. The present chapel, dated 1884, was built in the Sub-Classical and Simple Round-Headed style, with a gable entry plan and tall round-headed windows. By 1985 this chapel had fallen into disuse and by 2003 stood as part of a scrap yard. [Source: Coflein database of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales (accessed 5 June 2015)]

Note 2: Located by roadside immediately west of viaduct on main Swansea-Cardiff railway line. Exterior cement-rendered classical façade, 4 window bays under pediment. Brick and rubble construction, slate roof, formerly slate-hung sides. "Siloh" tablet with inscribed open book to pediment, banded quoins; architraves to round-headed openings, tall centre pair with keyblocks linked to main cornice. Doorways to outer bays with pedimented doorcases, 6-panel doors, Gothic area railings. Gable end of hall to right, octagonal chimney stacks. [Source: British Listed Buildings website (accessed 5 June 2015)]

Back to indexImages of Wales