St Mary's Church, St Mary's Square, Swansea, Glamorgan
Note 1: Present church is the fifth or possibly the sixth, to be built on this site, and was re-built in the 1950s following damage during WWII. Documentary evidence indicates that wallpaintings were found during the demolition of 1896.
Above: The south aspect of St Mary's Church, Swansea.
Note 2: St. Mary's Church in Swansea's centre was founded in the twelfth century. However, the current building is the result of extensive rebuilding, restoration and war-time destruction throughout its long history. It is reported that the building's aging nave roof collapsed one Sunday morning in 1739 without warning, just before the congregation entered:
Above: The northwestern aspect of St Mary's Church.
Note 3: There was a church on the site of St Mary's since circa 1328, erected by Henry de Gower, Bishop of Saint David's. One Sunday morning, in 1739, the roof of the nave collapsed into the church. Fortunately this was before the waiting congregation entered the building. The whole structure was re-built apart from the tower. In 1822 the church was lit by gas for the first time with thirty six lamps. The church underwent complete renovation between 1879 and 1882 by Vicar Dr Morgan. In 1896, the church was flattened and rebuilt again under the designs of Arthur Blomfield by Dean Allan Smith, though some parts of the old church survived the re-development. In Feb 1941 the Church was extensively damaged by bombing during the Blitz. It was not rebuilt until the 1950s.
Right: Pre-war (1929) aerial photo