Back to indexImages of Wales
 
  St Mary's Church

   Photography: Robert Eckley
   Date: 3 May 2014
   Camera: Panasonic DMC-TZ20 digital compact

St Mary's Church, Talachddu, Breconshire

Denomination: Anglican

Dedication: St Mary

Built: 13th century with substantial restoration in 1864.

Notes:
1. The nave and chancel may go back to the late 13th century, the period of the font. The south porch and ribbed barrel ceilings are 15th century, and the south inner doorway and two windows are 16th century. In the restoration of 1864 a chancel arch was inserted and a wooden belfry replaced a former west tower.
[Source: The Old Parish Churches of Mid Wales by Mike Salter, second edition published 2003 by Folly Publications, Malvern; ISBN 1-871731-62-3]
2. St Mary's church is a typically simple building of nave, chancel and porch, lying little more than three miles to the north-east of Brecon. It has been suggested that the building may date back to the 14thC, but all of the windows have been replaced, the doorways are no earlier than the 15thC, and it is impossible to determine whether any of the existing masonry survives from the medieval era. The font and roofs apart, there is nothing of medieval date inside.
[Source: Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust (CPAT) website (accessed 4 Feb 2017)]
3. An enclosed western turret containing two bells hung for chiming. Both bells have woodem stocks and angular canons, and are swung by levers. The frame is of the same period as the recasting of the bells by Warners. The original bells were cast circa 1450 by Richard-le-Belyetere of Worcester. In 1714 one of the bells lacked a rope, while in 1728 one of the bells was reported out of repair.
[Source: The Church Bells of Breconshire by John C. Eisel, published 2002 by Logaston Press, Herefordshire; ISBN 1-873827-23-7]

St Mary's Church
Southwestern aspect

St Mary's Church
Southeastern aspect

St Mary's Church
Nave and chancel arch
 
St Mary's Church Note 4: Small nave and chancel, heavily restored in 1863-64 by Thomas Nicholson, who rebuilt the chancel arch (shown above) and added the timber bellcote. [Source: The Buildings of Wales: Powys, by Robert Scourfield & Richard Haslam, Yale University Press, New Haven & London, 2013]



Left: Board acknowledging grant of
funds prior to 1863-64 restoration.


Back to indexImages of Wales