Bethlehem Chapel, Back Lane, Talgarth, BreconshireName: Bethlehem Chapel
Denomination: Calvinistic Methodist / Presbyterian (now United Free Church)
Photography: John Ball
Date: 28 Aug 2010
Camera: Nikon D50 digital SLR
Note 1: Bethlehem Chapel was built in 1821 (or possibly 1828), and rebuilt/re-fronted in 1870 by architect George Morgan of Carmarthen. The chapel is built in the Romanesque style of the gable entry type. [Source: Coflein database of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales (accessed 22 June 2015)]
Note 2: Chapel of square form with cross-winged fašade occupying position in the town and having both classical and gothic features. Built c.1830s originally as lateral fašade. Entire porch and gothic front is a later addition c.1870s. Stone rubble main walling with ashlar quoins and dressings. Grey and red sandstone arches formed by voussoirs. Half-hipped slate roof with iron finials. Terracotta finials on cross wings. Porch addition is hipped on both sides. [Source: Story of Nonconformity in Wales website (accessed 22 June 2015)]
Note 2 (see above): Two aisles separate plain wooden panelled bench pews, gently raked. Longitudinal pews to left and right of sedd fawr. Sedd fawr: rectangular raised platform area enclosed by three bays of wood panelling with central panel having Gothic niches. Loose chairs with decorated Gothic backs and modern communion table. Stairs lead up to either side of semi-octagonal pulpit. Affixed lectern. Evidence of early lighting. Decorative wooden panelled backboard incorporates speaker's bench seat behind pupit, with moulded plaster reredos above. Organ: to right of sedd fawr. Open pipes, decorative wood panelling.