Tan-y-groes Chapel, Tan-y-groes, Cardiganshire
Note 1: The cause of Tan-y-Groes was begun in 1742, although the first chapel was not built until 1849. This was rebuilt on a larger scale in 1882. The chapel is stone built with a slate roof, and is a long-wall entry type, combined with a gable over the centre. The style is of the simple round-headed type, with plain twin doorways flanked by round-headed windows.
Note 2: Tan-y-Groes Methodist Chapel was built in 1849 and remodelled in 1882. The present chapel, dated 1882, is built in the Simple Round-Headed style of the gable entry type. The chapel is now Grade 2 listed for the good front elevation built in local stone from Tanygroes.
Above: Plaque above gable entry.
Note 3: Interior – Of 1882, pulpit backing on entry wall. Three-sided gallery on fluted iron columns, curved corners, long horizontal panels with narrow strips of pierced cast-iron and pilasters with arched panels between. Fretwork cornice over columns. Three-sided pulpit with steps up and front fretwork panels. Narrow plaster arch behind pulpit. Panelled great seat. Plaster ceiling with centre rose, diagonal ribs and four corner square ventilators.