St George's Church, Church Street, Tredegar, Monmouthshire
Dedication: St George
Note 1: St George's church is prominently located on the east side of Church Street, set within a large railed churchyard. It was built in 1835-6 to the designs of architect John Jenkins of London, to serve the rapidly growing ironworks town. It is built in plain classical style with neo-Norman details, briefly popular for church architecture in the 1830s and 1840s.
The plan consists of galleried nave, very short lower chancel, and four-stage west tower containing entry, and is constructed of squared ironstone with slate roof, and minimal Bathstone detail to west elevation and tower.
Inside, under a simple flat-ribbed roof, the gallery along both long sides is supported on thick iron columns which have scalloped caps, and stairs off the east end of nave to north and south. Furnishings are of twentieth-century date. There are memorials to important figures associated with the Tredegar Ironworks. Stained glass includes routine work by G.Maile & Son (c.1967). [Source: Coflein database (NPRN 307467)]
Photography: John Ball
Date: 3 July 2010
Camera: Nikon D50 digital SLR
Above: North-western aspect of St George's Church.
Note 2: The church of St George is a rectangular building of stone in the Norman style, and consists of chancel, nave, north porch and a western tower, containing one bell and clock: there are1,100 sittings, 600 being free. The register dates from about the year 1836. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £311, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Llandaff, and held since 1883 by the Rev Thomas Theophilus, of St David's College, Lampeter, rural dean of Bedwellty, and surrogate.
Below: Nave, chancel, and gallery, St George's Church.
[Photography: John Ball, 1 May 1998 with Agfa ePhoto-307 digital compact]
[Source: Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire 1901, transcribed by Bryan Morgan, Caerwent, Monmouthshire (accessed 16 July 2015)]
Note 3: In 1838 Tredegar was formed [from Bedwellty] into a separate ecclesiastical parish and the church of St George was built, and in 1890 a chapel of ease was also erected dedicated to St James.
[Source: A History of Monmouthshire – Volume 5: The Hundred of Newport, by Sir Joseph Bradney (edited by Madeleine Gray), South Wales Record Society, Cardiff, and National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth; 1993]