Back to indexImages of Wales
 

Salem Chapel, Charles Street, Tredegar, Monmouthshire

Name: Salem

Denomination: Calvinistic Methodist

Built: 1840
Rebuilt: 1900




Photography: John Ball
Date: 3 Jul 2010
Camera: Nikon D50 digital SLR
Salem Chapel, Tredegar

Note 1: Salem Methodist Chapel was built in 1840 and rebuilt in 1900. The later chapel was built in the Simple Round-Headed style with a gable entry plan. By 1998 this chapel had been converted for residential use. [Source: Coflein database of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales (accessed 17 July 2015)]

Salem Chapel, Tredegar

Note 2: Salem Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Charles Street, was erected in 1900, and opened on Sunday, June 17th, 1900. The old chapel had been dilapidated and unsuitable to the needs of the congregation. But rather than demolishing the old chapel and building a new one on its site, it was decided to build the new chapel on a new site, which was certainly preferable to the old site. The new building cost £350, and the contractor was Mr Dd. Morgan, Queen Square, Tredegar. [Source: History of Tredegar, 18841900, by Evan Powell, Tredegar Workmen's Library, 1902; revised by David Powell and Evan Powell Junr., Blaenau Gwent Heritage Forum, 2008]

Back to indexImages of Wales