Back to indexImages of Wales
 

Siloh Baptist Chapel, Bridge Street, Tredegar, Monmouthshire

Name: Siloh

Denomination: Baptist (now Uniting Church)

Built: 1763
Rebuilt: 1806
Modified: 1820 & 1839
Rebuilt: 1905


Photography: John Ball
Date: 24 Jun 2010
Camera: Nikon D50 digital SLR


Note 1: Siloh Baptist Chapel was built in 1763, rebuilt in 1806, modified in 1820 and again in 1839. The last rebuild took place in 1905 in the Sub-Classical and Arts and Craft style with a gable entry plan and two storeys. [Source: Coflein database of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales (accessed 17 July 2015)]

Siloh Chapel, Tredegar
Siloh Chapel, Tredegar

Note 2: Siloh Baptist Chapel was situated on the eastern side of Sirhowy river; the graveyard was frequently inundated, and it is stated that after a certain flood the remains of the dead were exposed to view. In 1805 negotiations were carried on between the [Tredegar] company and the members of the Baptist denpmonation with the view of erecting a chapel on the present site of Siloh; the site was granted and the chapel was completed in 1806. To the chapel a graveyard was attached, at the nominal rent of £1 4s. per annum, and was to be "a general cemetery for the working men of Tredegar." Source: History of Tredegar, 1884–1900, by Evan Powell, Tredegar Workmen's Library, 1902; revised by David Powell and Evan Powell Junr., Blaenau Gwent Heritage Forum, 2008]

Siloh Chapel, Tredegar

Back to indexImages of Wales