Back to indexImages of Wales
 

St James Church, Poplar Road, Georgetown, Tredegar, Monmouthshire

Denomination: Anglican

Dedication: St James

Built: 1890





Photography: John Ball
Date: 3 Jul 2010
Camera: Nikon D50 digital SLR
St James Church, Tredegar

Note 1: St James's church is located on the north side of Poplar Road. It was erected in 1890 as a chapel of ease for Georgetown, to designs of architects James & Morgan of Cardiff. It is built of Pennant sandstone with Forest dressings. It consists of a four-bay clerestoried nave and lean-to aisles, a lower chancel, lean-to west gable porch and double bell gable. Inside, the arcades have circular piers with moulded caps, chamfered arches and brick outer mouldings, now painted over. The roof is scissor braced. There are Lancet windows throughout except for the Perpendicular chancel east window. Most windows contain stained glass and include work by Celtic Studios (1959). [Source: Coflein database of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales (accessed 17 July 2015)]

St James Church, Tredegar

Note 2: St James' Church was erected in 1891 at a cost of £3,000, and was opened on Sunday, November 6th, 1891. [Source: History of Tredegar, 1884–1900, by Evan Powell, Tredegar Workmen's Library, 1902; revised by David Powell and Evan Powell Junr., Blaenau Gwent Heritage Forum, 2008]

St James Church, Tredegar

Back to indexImages of Wales