Back to indexImages of Wales
 

St Michael's Church, Trefeglwys, Montgomeryshire

Dedication: St Michael

Denomination: Anglican

Built: 12th century
Rebuilt: 1864/65
Photography: Ann Bryan
Date: 1 September 2010
Camera: Canon PowerShot A480 digital

St Michael's Church, Trefeglwys

Note 1: St. Michaelís Church, Trefeglwys was completely rebuilt in 1864-5 using the medieval foundations. The current structure, built from grey rock-faced, partly snecked stone, is in the simple geometric style with stepped buttresses, and incorporates the Perpendicular east window and seventeenth century supporting beams from the earlier church, together with Jacobean carved panels on the large wooden pulpit. It comprises a nave with 7-bay roof, narrower chancel, divided by a four-centred arch decorated with ornate carvings, north porch and west belfry. The square bell turret consists of four louvred apertures with unconventional cusped heads on each side and pyramidal slate roof topped by a metal cross; the bell dates from the fifteenth century. The roof is of slate, with black ceramic crestings, while the west gable wall is similarly slate hung. The majority of the fixtures and fittings date from the nineteenth century, as the renovations of 1932 and 1970 were carried out sympathetically.
[Source: Coflein database of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales (accessed 24 July 2015)]

Note 2: St Michael's church in Trefeglwys, 9 miles to the west of Newtown, was founded in the 12thC but the present building dates only from 1863-5. The timber bell frame and supports (perhaps of the 17thC) were retained from the earlier church, as was a 15thC bell. But otherwise none of the early furnishings and fittings have been preserved. The building is set in a large, low-lying, sub-rectangular churchyard, with memorials from the late 18thC. A Victorian rebuilding in 1863-5, though some earlier masonry re-used. [Source: CPAT website of the Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust (accessed 24 July 2015)]

Back to indexImages of Wales