Back to indexImages of Wales
 

Zoar Methodist Chapel, Trefeglwys, Montgomeryshire

Name: Zoar

Denomination: Wesleyan (English) Methodist

Built: 1809
Rebuilt: 1852
Rebuilt: 1872
Photography: John Ball
Date: 19 September 2002
Camera: Sigma SA-300 35mm single lens reflex

Zoar Chapel, Trefeglwys

Note 1: Trefeglwys English Methodist Church was built in 1809, rebuilt in 1852 and rebuilt again in 1872. The present chapel, dated 1873, is a fine example of a Gothic Wesleyan chapel with red brick walls and polychrome brick detail. The double entrance is in the gable end, either side of a central window. The flanking entrances are reached via inner walls of projecting porches with intermediate lean-to canopies. There is a plaque inscribed: "Zoar /Wesleyan Chapel/re-erected 1872". The slate roof has red tile cresting. and the side walls have four bays and windows with Y-tracery. The vestry at the rear is lower than the rest of the structure. [Source: Coflein database of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales (accessed 24 July 2015)]

Note 2: Zoar Wesleyan Methodist Chapel. 1872, perhaps by Poundley & Walker. Polychromatic brick, the plate-traceried window flanked by a porch each side. [Source: The Buildings of Wales: Powys, by R. Scourfield and R. Haslam, Yale University Press, New Haven and London, 2013; ISBN 978-0-300-18508-9]

Back to indexImages of Wales