St Mary's Church, Tregare, Monmouthshire
Dedication: St Mary
Built: 13th century
Photography: Steve Veysey
Date: 10 May 2008
Camera: Fuji FinePix 6900 Zoom digital
Note 1: The nave and chancel are both 13th century. The chancel arch and three chancel windows are original; another window is dated 1638. Also 13th century, but obviously an addition, is the tower, capped by a large weathercock. The ogee headed north window and south doorway are 14th century, and the roodloft staircase, the roof with embattled wall plates and ribs abd bosses, and the south windows and porch are 15th century. The east window is Victorian.
[Source: The Old Parish Churches of Gwent, Glamorgan & Gower, by Mike Salter, Folly Publications, Malvern, 1991, ISBN 1-871731-08-9]
Note 2: Built in a mixture of Gothic Decorated and Perpendicular styles, long-wall entry type. A prominent feature of this Church is the integral tower.
[Source: Coflein database of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales (accessed 24 July 2015)]
Note 3: The church of St Mary is an ancient building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western tower containing five bells: the chancel retains an ancient piscina; the stone steps and doorway formerly leading to the rood loft still exist; and there are mural tablets to the Wysome family: the church was restored in 1888 by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners and has 100 sittings. The register dates from 1751. [Source: Raglan Wales UK Domesday Site (accessed 24 July 2015)]