St Caron's Church, Tregaron, CardiganshireDenomination: Anglican
Dedication: St Caron
Built: 14th century
Rebuilt: 19th century
Photography: John Ball
Date: 30 April 1999
Camera: Sigma SA-300 35mm single lens reflex
Note 1: St Caron's Church is situated in an elevated position in the centre of the town, and is thought to possibly be located on the site of a bronze age barrow. It stands within a roughly circular churchyard, in which there were formerly three cross-incised Early Christian Monuments. A sixth century stone with Latin inscription was formerly built into the church's south wall. The church was a parish church during the medieval period, belonging to the Deanery of Ultra-Aeron. By 1339 a third of the tithes were appropriated to Strata Florida Abbey. In 1406 the benefice, in the patronage of the Bishop of St Davids, was assigned as a prebend to the collegiate church of Llanddewi Brefi. In 1833 the living was a discharged vicarage in the patronage of the Bishop of St Davids. At the dissolution, Strata Florida Abbey's three bells were sold to the St Caron's Church (although there is now only one bell dating to 1889, with its predecessor only dating to 1859). The church was restored in 1877, to the designs of A. Ritchie, Chester. The north wall was rebuilt slightly to the north, the vestry/boilerhouse was added and the south door was blocked. The tower openings were partially rebuilt and the church was reroofed, refloored, reseated and refinished.