Back to indexImages of Wales
 

Church of St John the Evangelist, Tretower, Breconshire

Denomination: Anglican

Dedication: St John the Evangelist

Built: 1776
Rebuilt: 1876/77






Photography: John Ball
Date: 1 May 2007
Camera: Nikon D50 digital SLR
St John's Church, Tretower

Note 1: In 1851 this was a Chapel of Ease to the parochial church of St Michael at Llanfihangel Cwmdu. It was rebuilt in 1876-7 by J L Pearson. [Source: Coflein database of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales (accessed 28 July 2015)]

St John's Church, Tretower

Note 2: Rebuilt in 1876-7 by J. L. Pearson for the Baileys of Glanusk. The previous church of 1776 probably replaced a medieval chapel, dedicated to St Michael. Lancet-style and typically serious-minded. Local red sandstone with Bath stone dressings. Nave and narrower chancel, the ridge-line broken by a double bellcote over the chancel arch [Source: The Buildings of Wales: Powys, by Robert Scourfield and Richard Haslam, Yale University Press, New Haven and London, 2013]

Back to indexImages of Wales