Back to index|
St Cadoc's Church, Trevethin, Monmouthshire
Dedication: St Cadoc
Built: 15th century
Note 1. Only the late 15th century ashlar faced tower with a northeast stair turret and an inscription to the ironmaster Major John Hanbury MP (d. 1734) survived the mid 19th century rebuilding of the church.
[Extracted from The Old Parish Churches of Gwent, Glamorgan & Gower, by Mike Salter, Folly Publications, Malvern, 1991, ISBN 1-871731-08-9]
Note 2. The east window commemorates the 176 men and boys killed in an explosion at Llanerch Colliery on 6 February 1890.
[Source: The Folklore of (old) Monmouthshire, by Roy Palmer, Logaston Press, Almeley, Herefordshire, 1998, ISBN 1-873827-40-7]
Photography: John Ball
Date: 31 August 2004 (church) and 4 May 2005 (graveyard)
Camera: Fuji Finepix S602 Zoom digital
Note 3. The parish church is at TREVETHIN, a village, distant about 1 mile west [of Pontypool]; this fabric was rebuilt during 1846-47, according to plans prepared by Thomas H. Wyatt, Esq. honorary architect of the diocese. In the chancel is a beautiful stained glass window, presented by John Harley, Esq. of Wainwern; the communion-table, chairs, books, and furniture were given by the Hon. Misses Tracey; the font, of exquisite design and workmanship, was an offering by Charles Williams, Esq. of Hill Grove, and the handsome clock, by Mrs. Shellard, of Pontypool. In this church is constructed a Baptistry for administering the sacrement of baptism by immersion. The cost of re-building the sacred edifice, about £2700 was defrayed by voluntary contributions, and it is gratifying to remark that the inhabitants of Pontypool generally evinced the kindest interest in the work: to which they poured in their free-will offerings in a manner creditable to themselves, and worthy of its importance.
[Source: Hunt & Co.'s Directory & Topography for the Cities of Gloucester & Bristol, and the Towns of Aberayron, Abergavenny, Aberystwith, Brecon, Brynmawr, ... Pontypool, ...., published by E. Hunt & Co., London, 1849 – available on-line in PDF format on the Historical Directories website]
|Above: The obelisk in the left foreground is a monument to the ARDAGH family.|
In the mid 19th century Arthur Wellington Ardagh (1822-1868), an ex-soldier from the
Irish Guards, was manager of the Clarence Hotel, Pontypool.