Tabernacle, Yew Street, Troedyrhiw, near Merthyr Tydfil, Glamorgan
Name: Tabernacle Chapel
Note 1: Built in 1895 (date of chapel), this chapel is of a simple arts and crafts style, Gable entry type, with central door way. The chapel is two storey, with a large open chapel plan. Position of pulpit is unclear.
Above: Southwest-facing gable end of chapel on corner of Yew Street and Elm Street. [Photography: John Ball, 2002]
Note 2: Tabemacle English Baptist chapel was purpose built to hold the growing congregation of Revd W. Thomas of Bethel chapel. The new chapel was built on vacant land at the top of Yew Street. A large hall was first built to hold 500-600 people, and then the new chapel was built over the top of the hall. The picture below shows the eager congregation on the opening of the chapel on Sunday 27 October 1895. During the 1950s, the chapel was renovated and altered to suit the more modern way of life, making the chapel more accessible. However, in 2000, the congregation were given some unfortunate news. The building was structurally unsound, meaning that services could no longer be held there and the chapel was closed.
Above: Opening of chapel on 27 October 1895.
[Source: Merthyr Tydfil Through Time, by Rhianwen Long, Amberly Publishing, Stroud, 2014]