Upper Chapel Church, Upper Chapel, Breconshire
Note 1: Nothing is known of the earlier history of this chapel. One suspects it may have originated as a chapel of ease, perhaps in the Middle Ages, but there is nothing to corroborate such a theory. No medieval references have been encountered and there are few details even in the post-medieval era. Dawson recorded that the register was commenced in 1826 and the communion plate was dated 1889. There was a schoolroom at the south-west angle in the 19thC.
Note 2: The church at Upper Chapel is situated on the west side of the B4520 road through the hamlet, at its junction with the road to Merthyr Cynog, in a sub-oval churchyard used as a cemetery. It is constructed of stone rubble with slate roofs and consists of a single chamber with west bellcote and gabled south-west porch. It has a plain interor (see below)and is lit through simple pointed windows. The church is probably of early nineteenth-century date. [Source: Coflein online database of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historic Monuments of Wales (accessed 8 May 2017)]