Back to indexImages of Wales
 

Baptist Chapel, Old Market Street, Usk, Monmouthshire

Name: Usk Baptist Church

Denomination: Baptist
Photograph: John Ball
Date: 12 August 2016
Camera: Canon IXUS 115 HS digital SLR


Built: 1842

Baptist Chapel

Note 1: Usk Baptist Chapel was built in 1842 in the Simple Round-Headed and Sub-Classical style, with a gable-entry plan and tall flat-headed windows. [Source: Coflein database of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales (accessed 3 Sep 2016)]

Note 2: The building in Old Market Street was first started in 1840 with the completion of what is called the Schoolroom, away from the road. This left room for the actual present church building completed in 1842 and made a permanent place of worship for Baptists. For over two hundred year, prior to this , the witness of local Baptists had been in various houses in and around Usk. During the church’s history, various renovations and additions have been made, forming the present building .Electric light and heating were installed in 1946. It is now a Grade 2 listed building, with most of the original features inside, including wall plaques to the memory of persons associated closely with the history of this church. As is the Baptist tradition, the interior has pews arranged beside the two aisles. The pulpit is in the centre front, raised up and on the wall behind is a scrolled inscription from Psalm 46 ‘God is our refuge and strength’. There is a balcony, accessed by an old stone staircase, and which provides more seating.
The pipe organ was built to design in 1928 by Charles Gill of Cardiff Organ Works and has been repaired and renovated and regularly used in services , as well as other more modern instruments. The Schoolroom at the rear of the building is used for church based activities and by groups within the community. The Chapel House adjoining the building was formerly used as a Manse for Minister. [Source: Usk Town Council website (accessed 3 Sep 2016)]

Note 3: Usk Baptist Church was founded in the 17th Century. The present chapel, with its fine pipe organ, was built in 1842. The origins of non-conformist Christian worship in Usk stretch as far back as the 17th Century – before John Phillips came to the town from Bristol College in 1715, teaching that Christian believers should be baptised in water as a witness to their faith. [Source: Usk Baptist Church website (accessed 3 Sep 2016)]


Back to indexImages of Wales