Gurnos Chapel, Ystalyfera, Glamorgan
Name: Gurnos Chapel
Date: August 2011
Camera: Google StreetView digital
Note 1: Gurnos Independent Chapel was built in 1840, rebuilt in 1856, modified in 1864 and renewed in 1914. The 1856 chapel was built in the Simple Romanesque style with a gable-entry plan and round-headed windows.
[Source: Coflein online database of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales (accessed 23 September 2015)]
Note 2: Gurnos Chapel was located in lower Ystalyfera, opposite the Old Swan and New Swan Inns. In 2011, it was sold to private ownership. The chapel was first built in 1839-40 by the Wesleyans. The chapel was purchased in 1858 by the Congregationalists and was initially ministered to by Rev Philip Griffiths of Pantteg. It was soon found to be too small, being subsequently enlarged, and in 1864 rebuilt. The chapel was rebuilt again in 1913-14, and 1922 saw the retirement of long-serving minister, Reverend John Thomas who had taken up his role in 1884.
[Source: Ystalyfera History website (accessed 27 September 2015) where more information is available]