Back to indexImages of Wales
 

English Congregational Chapel, Commercial Street Ystradgynlais, Breconshire

Name: English Congregational Church

Denomination: English Congregational / United Reformed Church

Built: 1907

Note 1: The English Congregational Church in Ystradgynlais was built in 1907 and brought into a joint pastorate with Ystalyfera in 1931. From 'The Beginnings of our Congregation' by John Partridge comes this account of the origins of the English Congregational Church in Ystradgynlais. It was noted that there were a few English families living in Cwmgiedd and since it was too far for them to attend Ystalyfera, the minister was asked to give services in one of the Welsh Chapels nearby, repeating what had happened in Ystalyfera, and this initiative probably showed a need for Ystradgynlais church. The present chapel was completed in 1907 and was the first English chapel in Ystradgynlais. During the past 43 years there have been 5 ministers at the chapel, the first being Rev T. Illtyd James, he was followed by Revs Edward Vaughan, D J Williams and D T Evans; the Chapel is now ministered by Rev Melville Phillips Ystalyfera.
[Source: Ystalyfera History website (accessed 1 October 2015), where further information is available]
  Photograph: John Ball
Date: 24 September 2015
Camera: Canon IXUS 115 HS digital compact

English Congregational Chapel, Ystradgynlais

Note 2: The United Reformed Church, Ystradgynlais, was built in 1905. [Source: Coflein online database of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales (accessed 1 October 2015)]


Back to indexImages of Wales