Back to indexImages of Wales

Carmel Independent Chapel, Bonvilston, Glamorgan

Carmel Chapel, Bonvilston Name: Carmel Chapel

Denomination: Independent
      later Congregational then
      United Reformed Church
Built: 1835
Modified: 1861
Rebuilt: 1877

      Wendy Lawday
Date: circa 2004
Camera: unknown

Note 1:
Carmel Independent Chapel was built in 1835, modified in 1861 and rbuilt 1877, by the builder E. Jenkins of Cardiff. The later chapel is built in the Vernacular style with a gable-entry plan and flat headed windows. [Source: Coflein online database (NPRN 9663)]

Note 2:
The congregational cause at Carmel, Bonvilston was established in 1834 under the ministry of the Revd. Benjamin Morgan of Taihirion. Carmel Chapel opened in 1835, at a cost of £400. The membership increased under the ministry of Mr John Davies, who served the chapel jointly with the cause at Llantrisant, although debt owed on the building of the chapel remained a problem. In 1837, Mr John Jones was ordained minister, followed in 1841 by Mr Rees Evans, who resigned after six years to emigrate to America. Debt continued to be a burden, and it was decided to sell the chapel to the Baptist cause. On the eve of the sale, the key could not be found and the sale could not go ahead. The key was held by members Mary and Benjamin John, who sold their two pigs in order to reduce the debt and save the building. In 1850, Mr James Thomas began conducting regular services at Carmel. He was inducted as minister in 1853, and went on to organise a variety of activities in an effort to clear the debt. As a result, the debt was paid and extra money was made available to renovate the chapel. In 1860, the burial ground was extended and a stable built nearby. In 1877, the chapel was rebuilt and the entire cost paid in full before the opening services in November that year. Mr James Thomas died in 1879 aged 63. He was buried in the chapel burial ground with members paying for his tombstone. Mr Thomas was followed by William Edgar Evans, who was ordained in 1880. Mr Evans was known as the 'Bishop of the Vale' due to his work as pastor in the community. A number of ministers followed, including A. J. Evans and H. Oswald Evans. Carmel was also served by many excellent deacons, including Hopkin Smith, John Smith and James Price. The chapel closed in 1999 [and was later converted into a private residence (see below)].
[Source: Archifau Cymru / Archives Wales (accessed 5 Sep 2015)]

Carmel Chapel, Bonvilston
Above: Carmel Chapel, converted into a private residence (Photography by Google StreetView, June 2011)

Back to indexImages of Wales