Back to indexImages of Wales

St David & St Cyfelach's Church, Llangyfelach, Swansea, Glamorgan

Denomination: Anglican

Dedication: St David & St Cyfelach

Built: Medieval (tower)

1. The church itself was demolished after storm damage in 1803, leaving only the tower with a plain pointed arch of circa 1200. Above the north door is a 7th or 8th century cross stone. A 10th century cross base lies nearby and another cross lies within the 19th century church.
[Extracted from The Old Parish Churches of Gwent, Glamorgan & Gower, by Mike Salter, Folly Publications, Malvern, 1991, ISBN 1-871731-08-9]
2. There is a detached tower in the Churchyard, surviving from the former Church, the lintel of the doorway was once a slab with a wheel cross, but is severly weathered. When excavating the floor of the present nave in 1913, a flat stone was discovered with a cross upon it bearing the inscription of the formula Crux Christi, possibly of Irish-Celtic connections. The stone is in the north wall of the nave. Llangyfelach Church is only one of only three in Wales to have a detached tower, originally it was on the site of a Monastery. A terrible storm in 1803 destroyed the Church; the locals built the present church to the north-west and below the tower.
[Extracted from Llangyfelach Print website, where further historical details are available]
St Cyfelach's Church, Llangyfelach
Photography: John Ball
Date: 8 April 2002
Camera: Sigma SA300 35 mm SLR

St Cyfelach's Church, Llangyfelach
Back to indexImages of Wales