Back to indexImages of Wales

Capel Seion, Welsh Independent Chapel, Myddfai, Carmarthenshire

Seion Chapel, Myddfai Name: Capel Seion

Denomination: Independent

Built: 1823
Rebuilt: 1844
Partial rebuild: 1890

1. Seion Independent Chapel was built in 1823 and rebuilt 1844 to the design of architect T. Thomas of Llandovery. The chapel was modified/partly rebuilt again in 1890. The present chapel, dated 1890, is built in the Simple Round-Headed style of the long-wall entry type and still retains the original small-paned sash windows. The chapel is Grade 2 listed.
[Source: Coflein database; NPRN 6609]
2. Seion/Zion Welsh Independent Chapel, record no. 6609. Attribution: Thomas named on plaque. Style: 'long-wall' design with basic classicism and Gothic tracery. Partly rebuilt 1890
[Source: Thomas Thomas, 1817-88: the first national architect of Wales, by Stephen Hughes, reprinted from Archaeologica Cambrensis 152 (2003)]
Note 3: Seion Independent Chapel. 1844. Stuccoed front like a house, with arched windows on two storeys, and centre arched door. The panelled gallery is mid C19. The date of 1890 must refer to the stucco, the pulpit and great seat only
[Source: The Buildings of Wales: Carmarthenshire & Ceredigion, by Thomas Lloyd, Julian Orbach & Robert Scourfield, Yale University Press, 2006; ISBN 0-300-10179-1]
4. Further details on the Myddfai Community Website

Photography: John Ball
Date: 29 April 2005
Camera: Fuji FinePix S602 Zoom digital

Back to index