Back to indexImages of Wales

St Cadoc's Church, Raglan, Monmouthshire

Denomination: Anglican

Photography: Geograph
Date: 5 Jan 2014
Camera: not known
Dedication: St Cadoc

Built: 14th/15th centuries with 19th century modifications

St Cadoc's Church, Raglan
Photograph © copyright Jaggery, licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence, January 2014

Note 1: The south wall has two windows with 14th century tracery. Some of the masonry in the nave may be even earlier, but the roodloft, staircase, windows, south doorway and porch, north chapel and west tower are 15th century. The short north aisle dates from the Victorian restoration.
[Source: The Old Parish Churches of Gwent, Glamorgan & Gower, by Mike Salter, Folly Publications, Malvern, 1991; ISBN 1-871731-08-9]

St Cadoc's Church, Raglan
Illustration by Norman Keene from A History of Monmouthshire, Vol 2, Part 1, by Sir Joseph Bradney, Mitchell Hughes and Clarke, London 1911

Note 2: St Cadoc's Church, in the centre of the village, was founded in the 14th century, and is well worth a visit. In the Beaufort chapel the north window is a striking testimony to the first Lord Raglan, who died in the Crimea in 1855. He had been Wellington's military secretary and lost an arm at the battle of Waterloo. The Raglan overcoat, with its special sleeve, was named after the first Lord Raglan.
[Source: The Gwent Village Book, compiled by the Gwent Federation of Women's Institutes, published jointly by Contryside Books, Newbury and GFWI, Usk, 1994; ISBN 1-85306-312-6]

Churchyard Cross, St Cadoc's Church, Raglan
Right: Churchyard Cross (Sketch by Fred Hando)

Note 3: "In the centre foreground [of the churchyard] arose the four steps and interesting base of the churchyard cross. Broached and decorated with quatrefoils, one of which has been recessed by a niche, used perhaps for relics, perhaps for gifts, it is a fine medieval survival.
The [church] clock, made by Henry Mills of Caerleon, was presented by Miss Anna Maria Bosanquet in 1863. In Mrs Horatia Durant's guide to the church we read that the railway, opened in 1860, had incurred Miss Bosanquet's displeasure, so she decreed that no clock face should be instaled on the side of the tower facing the station. Nigh on a century ago!
The same benefactress gave six bells to St Cadoc's, but misliking their sound, transferred them to Llandenny."
[Source: Here and There in Monmouthshire, by Fred J. Hando, R.H. Johns Ltd., Newport, 1964]

Back to indexImages of Wales