Back to indexImages of Wales

Salem Chapel (Capel y Cwm), Cwm Chapel Road, Swansea, Glamorgan

Name: Salem Chapel (Capel-y-Cwm)

Denomination: Calvinistic Methodist
Old Salem Chapel
Old Chapel (right & below)
Built: 1782/3
Improved: 1823, 1831, 1889
Converted (to schoolroom): 1903/5

Exterior photography: John Ball
Date: 31 May 2010
Camera: Nikon D50 digital SLR

Note 1: Calvinistic Methodist chapel dated 1782-3, improved 1823, galleried 1831 and improved again 1889. Converted to schoolroom when the big adjoining chapel was built in 1903-5. Floor inserted in C20. It is said that in 1822-3 the old chapel was demolished and rebuilt larger with chapel house and stable to the right and that alterations were made c1867 by John Humphrey that included raising the roof, reseating and the addition of front lobby. The long narrow lights are typical of Humphrey. It is likely therefore that the present appearance is largely of c1867. Gutted by fire and and roofless by 2003. [Source: British Listed Buildings website, using CADW as its source (accessed 15 May 2017)]

Below: Old Salem Chapel prior to loss of roof. [Archive photo by kind permission of J H Truman]
Old Salem Chapel

New Salem Chapel New Chapel (left and below)
Built: 1903/5

Note 2: Calvinistic Methodist chapel of 1903-5, by W W Williams of Swansea, who died during the construction, the work being completed by W David of Swansea. The contractors were Lloyd Bros of Swansea, and the cost about £7,000. Organ inserted 1916. A similar design on smaller scale survives at Capel Carmel, Clydach, 1901, also by Williams. Of exceptional size and quality, built to seat 1,078. [Source: British Listed Buildings website, using CADW as its source (accessed 15 May 2017)]

Note 3: Very large interior with 4-sided gallery swept down as choir gallery behind pulpit. 5x1x5 cast iron columns with scroll caps and shaft rings (made by Macfarlane of Glasgow). Gallery front is continuous cast-iron to pattern of close-set arched panels with iron foliate insert at base of each panel. Curved angles, and raked at angles to choir gallery with ironwork correspondingly sloped. Moulded cornice below, label course below upper rail. Ceiling has cornice with brackets under moulded ribs. Deep cove and flat centre of 6x4 panels. Thirteen round vents. Pitch pine pews in 3 blocks, the side blocks canted. Broad curved-ended 'set fawr' with fielded panelled back and blind balustrading around rear. Exceptionally long pulpit platform with steps up each end. Heavy square newels, ramped rails and carved arcaded column balusters, similar to platform front. Big canted pulpit front with fine Art Nouveau relief-carved arched panels, 2 to front, one each side, of plant motifs including lily and vine. Lobby has 4-light leaded window with coloured glass and 2 half-glazed double doors. Very large organ by Peter Conacher & Co at back of choir gallery under moulded arch. Big pipe-front with broat centre broken forward and side pieces. Painted pipes. Gallery seats are curved to follow gallery, and swept down with stepped seats at choir gallery. Four sets of gallery stairs at angles. Room to rear under choir gallery. [Source: British Listed Buildings website, using CADW as its source (accessed 15 May 2017)]

Salem Chapel

Below: Interior of Salem New Chapel, showing pews, galleries, pulpit and organ.
[Photography © J H Truman, 17 Mar 2014 with Sony DSC-W530 digital camera]

New Salem Chapel

Back to indexImages of Wales